Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Forum Shops

Affiliates

Author Topic: Glasser Braided Carbon Fibre Bow  (Read 6115 times)

Offline ruadhan

• Total Badges: 23
    Badges: (View All)
    Nineth year Anniversary Eighth year Anniversary Level 5
Glasser Braided Carbon Fibre Bow
« on: Jul 22, 2005, 08:07:38 PM »
The Celt's Cauldron received its first shipment of the Glasser Braided Carbon Fibre Bows recently and I have been trying one out.  If anyone is interested, here are my thoughts.

ME LIKE LOTS!!!!  ME WANT ONE!!!!

Okay, a little more technical than this, here's what I thought.

Appearance: These bows are beautiful.  They are a midnight black colour.  The seemless carbon fibre weave is coated in a clear resin which is highly attractive, showing the pattern of the gleaming black fibres along the length of the bow.

Workmanship:  I have till now thought of Glasser bows as workhorse bows, functional, adequate, but nothing special.  I've liked the Glasser Composite as a good backup bow, and I liked the X bow as a better sounding step up.  But the Braided Carbon Fibre Bow seems to be a vast step up.  The frog is perfectly mounted with lovely mother of pearl inlay.  The look and feel of the entire bow presents an air of elegant precision, like one would expect from a fine jeweled watch.  But I did find one flaw with the bow, and I've encountered this with about every Glasser bow I've ever tried.  There is just too much hair on the stick.  Fortunately, this problem can easily be remedied by carefully trimming off some of the excess hair.  The problem with too much hair is it seems to create a surplus of hair noise, which in my opinion, is the greatest weakness of real horse hair.  So a buyer would probably want to reduce the amount of hair to a more appropriate level.

Performance: Performance is where this bow stands out brilliantly!  I found it to combine a perfect blend of spring and stiffness.  It tracked well, and stayed smoothly on the string when I wanted it too.  It seemed very forgiving, not quick to respond to small errors in play that might have caused problems with a softer, springier bow.  It played off the string well, sprang when I wanted it to, and responded with crisp precision response to my hands and the instrument.  Playing it was an absolute joy.

Tone:  A good pernambuco bow continues to instill a bit more tonal colour, to my ears.  In comparison to another favourite bow of mine, the Incredibow, it's tone was darker, whereas I would describe the Incredibow as purer (most likely resulting from the Incredibows polymer hair which produces virtually no hair noise).  Still, I like darker so I was very pleased with the Braided Carbon Fibre Glasser.  If it just had that extra little something of pernambuco, it would be perfect.

Overall Conclusions:  I believe a pernambuco stick with the characteristics of this bow would cost thousands.  For its price, it is a superior bow which would suit most players nicely as a primary bow, and a professional as a very high quality backup.  And, of course, it has the usual bonuses of synthetic bows: it will never lose its camber or spring, and is probably much more resistant to damage, and certainly close to impervious to the weather.

Advertise Here

Offline fidla

• Total Badges: 25
    Tenth year Anniversary Nineth year Anniversary Windows User
Re: Glasser Braided Carbon Fibre Bow
« Reply #1 on: Jul 22, 2005, 08:22:03 PM »
I like them too ;)  and Andrew has purchased my bow hair...

Offline ruadhan

« Reply #2 on: Jul 23, 2005, 03:05:32 AM »
Adam, just ask him to cut back a little on the horse hair and we'll be delighted with them right out of the box.  Still, for the price, I believe these bows are awesome!!!!  Add a few more exclamation points.

Offline fidla

Tenth year Anniversary Nineth year Anniversary Windows User
« Reply #3 on: Jul 23, 2005, 03:58:47 AM »
Adam, just ask him to cut back a little on the horse hair and we'll be delighted with them right out of the box.  Still, for the price, I believe these bows are awesome!!!!  Add a few more exclamation points.

I agree with you :) (for once)

but I have no control over how many hairs he puts in his bows.  I believe he puts 220...in fact he asks that the hanks I send him have 220 hairs each!  Can you imagine my guys sitting there in China counting out each bow hair that goes into a hank? :)

But we do it.  Customer satisfaction is paramount ;)

Offline beeswing

• Mugwump
  • Someone with 5 blobs
  • Just typing a lot doesn't mean I'm any good...

• Total Badges: 27
    Linux User Tenth year Anniversary Level 5
« Reply #4 on: Jul 23, 2005, 02:46:53 PM »
Sounds like a cool stick. Has anyone rehaired one yet? How does that go?
I want to be a musician when I grow up.
Sorry, son, you can't do both.

Offline ruadhan

« Reply #5 on: Jul 23, 2005, 07:26:36 PM »
I've read a rehair thread about the other Glassers and apparently it's pretty standard.

Offline giannaviolins

• Someone with 5 blobs

• Total Badges: 24
    Search Mobile User Windows User
« Reply #6 on: Jul 24, 2005, 02:12:59 PM »
I'll stop by and let Andrew Glasser know about the hair comments.  Spent a good deal of time talking with him about these yesterday.  Lots of extremely good and very efficient engineering in them.  I expect continued research will bring more excellent Glasser products to the market.  I'm certainly pleased with these.

Lots of other good products at NAMM, too.  I've picked up a violin line with really excellent arching - the response is excellent.  And some other things.  Found folks to cooperate with on getting products I design out there, too.

Offline giannaviolins

• Someone with 5 blobs

« Reply #7 on: Jul 26, 2005, 01:21:19 PM »
I talked with Andrew Glasser at length about the bows.  Very clever design and construction - I understand now the excellent damping and balance.  Should be able to count on this. 

The amount of hair is now more standard and appears perfect for the stick.  I think of the amount of hair required as directly analogous to picking the right line weight for a fly rod.  Glasser has it right now.

Steve

Offline beeswing

• Mugwump
  • Someone with 5 blobs

« Reply #8 on: Jul 26, 2005, 01:58:25 PM »
They make a braided carbon viola bow? You tried playing any?

My mouth is watering. Maybe it's the coffee ;D

Offline giannaviolins

• Someone with 5 blobs

« Reply #9 on: Jul 26, 2005, 03:30:36 PM »
I'm sure they do make a viola bow.  I saw one I think.  Want one?

Offline beeswing

• Mugwump
  • Someone with 5 blobs

« Reply #10 on: Jul 26, 2005, 03:45:12 PM »
Wanting one and having the wherewithal to purchase one are, alas, two very different things in my case.

Yes, I want one, and when I come into 2 or 3 extra hundred bux I'll come running.

The one and only viola bow in the house is out at the moment, having a pernambuco spline fitted in the head. Where does all the money go, you may well ask...
« Last Edit: Jul 26, 2005, 03:50:57 PM by beeswing »

Offline ruadhan

« Reply #11 on: Jul 26, 2005, 06:15:31 PM »
Hi Beeswing, they do make a viola version and a cello version.  We stock them both.

Offline sreizes

• Someone with 5 blobs

Tenth year Anniversary Nineth year Anniversary Linux User
« Reply #12 on: Jul 26, 2005, 08:45:27 PM »
What's the price point on these btw?

Offline fiddledeedee

• My site

• Total Badges: 33
    Webmaster Mobile User Level 6
« Reply #13 on: Jul 26, 2005, 09:50:36 PM »
They make a braided carbon viola bow? You tried playing any?

My mouth is watering. Maybe it's the coffee ;D

I have one.  It plays well.  The sound it creates with my viola is not quite as good as my pernambuco bow [the glasser creates a bit of string hiss], but it handles well, and will make a good alternate.
I got mine from the electric violin shop in north carolina.
sheryl

Offline kbrmiller

Tenth year Anniversary Nineth year Anniversary Level 5
« Reply #14 on: Jul 30, 2005, 10:17:27 PM »
Glad to hear it's treating you well!

Offline beeswing

• Mugwump
  • Someone with 5 blobs

« Reply #15 on: Jul 30, 2005, 10:42:04 PM »
Glad to hear it as well. Anybody got a pic of the head of one? I'm guessing they tenon a molded head into the CF tube, or do they carry the braid over the head? (That would really be something...)

Wow, Steve. Sounds cool.  I can't wait. show me show me show me show me show me

please                       2005 July 30 8:59 pm eastern USA time
« Last Edit: Jul 31, 2005, 04:20:49 AM by beeswing »

Offline giannaviolins

• Someone with 5 blobs

« Reply #16 on: Jul 31, 2005, 02:18:23 AM »
Braid over the head.  I'll photo the next batch.

Offline ruadhan

« Reply #17 on: Aug 02, 2005, 02:28:28 AM »
The braid goes right over the head.  It appears to be seamless, all the way through the length of the bow.  This is one of the bow's strong points--carries the vibration along the length of the seamless CF just as wood grain would.

On a side note, I spent this past 3 day weekend (it was a holiday in Canada) at a Renaissance faire where I performed Celtic music on fiddle everyday.  I used the Glasser Braided bow the whole time.  The tone was very sweet, the control was great, I like how it's impervious to weather.  The more I use it, the more I like it.

Offline beeswing

• Mugwump
  • Someone with 5 blobs

« Reply #18 on: Aug 02, 2005, 05:18:12 PM »
Just saw a pic of one on a big local dealer's website. I think it might look even cooler with a snakeskin thumb wrap.

Three-part button with simple shell frog eye. I like it.

Offline foose4string

• 5 spangled dude

Mobile User Search Tenth year Anniversary
« Reply #19 on: Aug 14, 2005, 01:27:24 AM »

Anybody got a pic of the head of one?

Just got mine the other day.  I like it, a little heavier than I anticipated, but well balanced and very even tone, smooth like glass( pardon the pun).  What got my attention the most was the quality of the hair used,  good stuff.  I think it played a huge part in my decision over the Codabow I tried next to it.  Am I to thank Fidla for that?

Offline B natural

« Reply #20 on: Oct 18, 2005, 08:40:52 PM »
Have Coda bows now pinched the Glasser braided carbon fibre idea in their Revelation bow? I know that the Coda Revelation are only for Bass players at the moment but I wonder how long it will be before they take out a violin bow under the name Revelation?

Check it out here:
http://www.codabow.com/models-revelation.html

Rob.

Offline Mark Cordova

• Senior Moderator
  • I've been drinking downstream from the herd again.

Level 5 Super Combination Combination
« Reply #21 on: Oct 18, 2005, 09:13:32 PM »
Please read the retraction post.

Speaking of Codas, I still like my Colours as well as any bow I have tried and I like it much better than the Glasser Braided Carbon Fiber bow. I tried the glasser and it felt a bit like a fishing pole and rather akin to the old fiberglass ones. I wasn't impressed in the least. I'll try one again on my way home but for now, I don't see it as a fit replacement for my second bow.

Now, as much as I value some of the opinions shared in this forum, I would say that you should try one out first. You may see it as Adam or Ruadhan do or you may not like them. They are inexpensive to be sure but not so inexpensive that you want to make a mistake.
« Last Edit: Oct 28, 2005, 09:20:34 PM by Mark Cordova »

Offline B natural

« Reply #22 on: Oct 19, 2005, 09:10:51 AM »
This is the kind of thing I really need to hear Mark. I will soon be in the market for a better bow. My thinking to date is that I love the look of the Arcus bows but I'm afraid that unless I won the lottery they are just out of my depth to finance. I am impressed with much of the comments I've read about Coda bows. Many people on different violin forums have endorsed the Coda brand with good comments and I take these comments, by there sheer number, as proof that Coda bows are really worth considering. Up till now I wouldn't have considered any of the Glasser range as a seriously better bow than what I have now but comments from Cliff and others seem to suggest this braided bow might be a serious alternative for me at the moment. I'm impressed with the braided bow's price compared to, say, a Coda Conservatory (which is what I'm currently thinking of buying). So now I am tempted by the braided bow (could save money here!!) over the Conservatory but your comments have made me stop and wonder if this potential saving may be money wasted.

Living in Scotland means that I don't have access to any Coda dealers where I can just nip in to a shop to try out a range of bows and this is a real drawback for me. And I can't directly compare the Glasser braided bow with the Conservatory side-by-side, which is what I'd like to do. So, in the end, I'll probably just have to try and make the best informed decision I can and order a bow and have to live with it whether I could have spent my money better or not. So I read all comments with great interest, as you can imagine. Do you think suppliers are willing to send a range of bows on approval? This would be my best bet I feel seeing as how I am miles from them and I could only really consider UK suppliers as I don't want to incurr potential import and other UK tax such as VAT.

For now I am only considering upgarding to a carbon fibre bow (more bow per pound!) and 500 would definately be my limit. Any advices anybody?

Rob.

Offline giannaviolins

• Someone with 5 blobs

« Reply #23 on: Oct 19, 2005, 11:52:12 AM »
Different camps of bow feel clearly exist.  The Coda line seems very lively.  The Glasser is on the other end, feeling smooth and supple.  The same distinction seems important to bow shoppers looking at wood.  Most fiddlers like the braided well.  About 1/2 shopping at that price point pick it.  Others pick the Cadenza Silver.  The Cadenza Silver seems a bit better in bounce etc to me.  It costs a bit more, so that is appropriate.  At that slightly more point I like most of the Brazilian nickel mounted bows better than the Silver.  But I'm used to wood.

I strongly suggest figuring out what kind of bow one likes with respect to lively/bouncey/quick v. steady/smooth/silky.

Offline B natural

« Reply #24 on: Oct 19, 2005, 02:04:55 PM »
Thanks for your comments Steve. I probably want a bow which is lively/bouncy/quick so that I can pop out the notes in strathspeys/hornpipes/reels etc. So your thoughts kinda confirm the notion I have tending towards the Coda line.

Rob.

Get Adobe Flash player

Fiddle and Alternative Strings Forum (c) 2016 Mark Knight /
SONiC FUEL
SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2020, SimplePortal