Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Forum Shops

Affiliates

Become a Forum Friend and get extra permissions and DISCOUNTS from our sponsors!
plus many extra forum privileges (like 'edit post', avatars and signatures)

Author Topic: Fiddle Fretter first impressions  (Read 16947 times)

Offline beeswing

• Mugwump
  • Someone with 5 blobs
  • Just typing a lot doesn't mean I'm any good...

• Total Badges: 27
    Badges: (View All)
    Linux User Tenth year Anniversary Level 5
Fiddle Fretter first impressions
« on: Jul 19, 2005, 06:08:14 AM »
Moderators: I hope this is not considered a commercial post. The gentleman sent me a free gadget to try, and, as promised, here is the first installment of a product review. After we get done with it, perhaps we could hand it round for further impressions :)

I believe it's now OK to put the link here.

Well, it was Christmas in July at our house tonight. There was a big postal pouch waiting for me from Nova Scotia, with the full size Fiddle Fretter I was expecting. I took it into the studio where my wife was just finishing with an adult student, and opened it in front of them. But backing up a bit...

You may remember that the manufacturer of this gadget (a set of stick-on frets for a violin) introduced themself some while ago, and Mark edited out some commercial content of their post, saying "Like to keep this one, but rules are rules... sorry." Well, today the gadget showed up, and here are my first impressions of it. First a bit more background:

My wife teaches fiddle and violin. Classically trained on violin since 7, she fell in love again with the instrument in her 20's after hearing some fiddling, and has been a local contra dance fiddler and backup artiste for local folkies (musos, our cousins might call them) ever since. Not saying exactly how long, but it's been quite a while. She teaches around 50 students, little kids, teenage fiddlers, and adult beginners. When I first mentioned the Fiddle Fretter to her, right off she said "That would be good for people without a teacher." No surprise there.

OK, back to tonight: as soon as the gadget came out of the package (attractively and usefully presented by the way, on a stout card with a 24-fret fingering chart on the back, stuck on a fingerboard shape neatly made of grey foam. If you were to lose the original foam piece, you could sacrifice some hot-water pipe insulation and easily make another) I asked if I could stick it on my dear wife's teaching fiddle. Got a prompt "NO." You surprised yet? I wheedled and pleaded, and she finally allowed it, but only if I peel it off before tomorrow morning. After I had installed the gadget, I asked if she wanted to play it. Again, "NO." But when I went in the back room to put away the soundpost setter, I heard her trying it out. She did admit, "It's OK."

The instructions say to loosen the strings before applying, and it's a good thing there's a soundpost setter in reach. It's been a while since I checked the fit and tension of that post, so it might be a bit loose anyway, but it did fall. No biggie (for me) to put it back up, but it will be something to keep in mind. This may not be much of a problem; see the "speculation" section below.

The gadget is a pretty thing, shiny black with gold-colored frets about 0.25 mm proud of the surface. The backing material seems to be a bit less than 0.4 mm thick. It flexes well, and conforms to the curve and scoop of the fingerboard without buckling or bubbling. I was concerned that there might be some buzzing, since this fiddle has a nice low nut, and before coming back up to pitch I did hear some buzzing from the slackened strings, but at playing tension it does not appear to be a problem. Again, see the "speculation" bit.

The full-sized (4/4) gadget looks like it will fit a fingerboard that is 25 mm wide at the nut. The instrument it sits on at the moment measures 24.0 mm there, so there is some overhang... I might suggest making it slightly narrower, since there is no need to carry the frets right to the edge of a wide fingerboard, and it feels a bit funny sticking out over the edges of this neck, even by only 1/2 mm. The 12th fret is at 165 mm, suitable for strings with a playing length of 330 mm. This fiddle has a playing length of 327 mm on the A. The intonation is a bit distinctive but not at all unpleasant. I tried a few tunes: Fully Rigged Ship, Ste. Anne's, Smash the Windows, Rights of Man. They all came out recognizably, and reasonably in tune. I generally stay in 1st position on the violin, but I did try some noodling up in the stratosphere, though not all the way to the 24th fret, and it did not insult my perhaps easy-going ears. I can find no fault with the intonation of the device. The distinctive flavor of it may be just my imagination, or a difference from my own notions of pitch. It works, and works pretty well. Double-stops become a bit easier using the device. I can usually nail a sixth, but this thing makes fingertip fifths dead easy, and I even got a decent-sounding tritone without any fussing over it. Well, a tritone-sounding tritone...

Speculation: Some people actually prefer a high action at the nut, and a lot of the entry-level instruments seem to come with a fair bit of daylight showing there. In a case like that, the strings might not have to be slackened too far, reducing the chance of the post falling when installing the frets, and reducing the likelihood of buzzes. Again, playing up to about mezzoforte I did not hear any fret buzz. Some people may find a difference in tone with a softer stopping surface than polished ebony, but if anything, the added damping may, in my guess, make the instrument a bit more forgiving in the hands of a beginner.

That's about all for tonight, we're both yawning and looking forward to some rest. I've emailed a family I know where the Mom plays at about the Happy Farmer level, the Dad can scratch out some resemblance of Old Joe Clark on a good day, and the kids both play: the older one long since has lost the violin fingerboard tapes, and the younger one still has a tape or two on the cello. I'm hoping the parents will give the Fiddle Fretter a longer trial. They can certainly approach it from a pretty inexperienced standpoint, so they should be able to simulate its target market pretty well. I've offered to provide the wine for the debriefing interview, so with any luck they will be willing to try it out. I'll post more when there's more to post.

For about what I'm used to paying for a set of Tonicas, this thing seems like an OK deal for the sort of person who can benefit from it.

g'night, all
« Last Edit: Jul 19, 2005, 03:50:58 PM by beeswing »
I want to be a musician when I grow up.
Sorry, son, you can't do both.

Offline madfiddler

• Forum Owner
  • Someone with 5 blobs
  • Flit Kills Moths
    • madfiddler - Electric Violinist

• Total Badges: 44
    Mobile User Level 7 5000 Posts
Re: Fiddle Fretter first impressions
« Reply #1 on: Jul 19, 2005, 12:08:30 PM »
Great review, thanks for that. Do you play on the frets, or behind the frets? My guess is on?
Become a Forum Friend and get DISCOUNTS from our advertisers!
plus extra membership privileges.

Offline beeswing

• Mugwump
  • Someone with 5 blobs

« Reply #2 on: Jul 19, 2005, 01:01:48 PM »
Hrmm... I didn't look? They are very fine delicate-looking frets, only 1/4 mm high, compared to 1.1 or 1.2 mm on the nearest mando. (1/2 mm wide, compared to 2.2 mm on the mando) I tried to do a chromatic scale glissando on them, without getting a real clean articulation between half-steps, but it is difficult to play horribly out of tune on them. The bulk of my finger tips was actually behind them of course, when playing.

I still like it in the cold grey light of the morning after. Naturally I had to play Whiskey Before Breakfast... checking the top fret (24th, or 2nd octave from the open note) harmonically and stopped, it suited my ear just fine. As time goes on, and if I find my little Korg chromatic tuner, I may do a more exhaustive intonation study.

I don't think I'm imagining the slight tonal difference, probably more due to the softer stopping surface than the added mass on the fingerboard, but I'm just guessing there. All in all, it is easy on the ears.

It peeled off without fuss or bother, leaving no visible or palpable residue. I left the strings tight, and ran the bent tip of my little mm scale under it to release it from the fingerboard. Now it's back on the foam form of the maker's package, awaiting its next victim volunteer. I suspect as the days go on I will be testing the durability of the low-tack adhesive, slipping it on and off while my wife isn't looking. It's either that or bring one of the back-room instruments into playing condition...

I'll still maintain that, for an older beginner, especially one with frets experience, this might be a useful gadget. More on the subject after I see how old Mr. "Joe Clark" takes to it. ;D
« Last Edit: Jul 19, 2005, 01:07:58 PM by beeswing »

Offline natnot

• Cupboard Dweller
  • Mini Bree!
    • Natnot's homepage

• Total Badges: 28
    Tenth year Anniversary Linux User Mobile User
« Reply #3 on: Jul 19, 2005, 01:17:04 PM »
Sounds interesting, comprehensive review there!

A couple of questions:

Am I correct in assuming the frets are slightly raised from the rest of the fingerboard?  If so, it could become a bit easy to rely on the frets rather than the ear, since they could be felt even if not looking at the fingerboard.

I'm not really sure whether this is intended to be a teaching/finger placement aid (to be used in the early stages of playing) or just something to turn the violin into a fretted instrument (say for guitarists/mandolin players who want to dabble without playing a fretless instrument).  If it's the former, 24 frets does seem a lot, as most players who start out with tapes on the fingerboard tend to lose them after 1st position or so because they have learnt to check intonation by ear at that point.  .

It seems to me like a vaguely similar product to the "Don't Fret", except that is just a fingerboard sticker whereas this is more of a substantial "turn your violin into a fretted instrument" device...there could definitely be a market for fretted instrument players, or any other musicians used to equal temperament, wanting to try out the violin out but who may otherwise be put off by the intonation difficulties.  People who do want to play violin, they just don't know it yet. ;D

Offline beeswing

• Mugwump
  • Someone with 5 blobs

« Reply #4 on: Jul 19, 2005, 01:35:32 PM »
The frets look like little gold wires, and they do in actual fact stick up 1/4 mm from the surface, enough to be both a tactile reference and a forgiving stopping point.

It's actually quite dressy-looking. The Don't Fret looks like an exhaustive set of multicoloured "training wheels" tapes, but the Fiddle Fretter more or less disappears onto the fingerboard, with the obvious difference being that you now have a logarithmic series of gold wires adorning the board. Not even something you'd be embarassed showing up with at an informal session, perhaps....

Offline fidla

• Total Badges: 25
    Tenth year Anniversary Nineth year Anniversary Windows User
« Reply #5 on: Jul 19, 2005, 01:39:44 PM »
Nice review.  Thanks :)

I still can't get over the idea of frets on a fiddle, though.  :P

Offline Jess A

• hiya

• Total Badges: 19
    Nineth year Anniversary Level 4 Super Combination
« Reply #6 on: Jul 19, 2005, 01:46:09 PM »
so when you've pressed the string down at the fret, is it your finger or the fret itself that is determining the length of the string left free to vibrate?

I don't play fretted instruments myself but was always under the impression that with a guitar, say, you press the string down in between the frets and it is the fret which 'stops' the string. In which case the metal fret wire is a much harder surface that your finger and that might be what affects the tone...?

Offline beeswing

• Mugwump
  • Someone with 5 blobs

« Reply #7 on: Jul 19, 2005, 01:57:17 PM »
The frets on a guitar are a lot bigger, far chunkier than the frets on this thing. Yes, you're meant to put your fingers a bit behind those frets, and in fact can get away with quite a bit behind them, which is useful when stopping chords, so that all 4 fingers (& maybe a thumb on the bass side) can find a place in the pattern.

The Fiddle Fretter is a multi-layered arrangement, with the nylon "wires" sandwiched between a black backing and a glossy clear top layer of plastic, so you have the string stopped between soft plastic and softer flesh, instead of hard ebony and soft flesh.

Jess, to answer your question is not clear-cut. As best I can tell, it's a combination of fingertip and the ridge of the fret that determines the playing length of the stopped string. With the little ridge in the picture, pitch seems to depend much less on exact fingertip position.

I guess it's OK to show the link now:

http://www.frettedfiddle.com/
« Last Edit: Jul 19, 2005, 02:29:51 PM by beeswing »

Offline Nfkfiddler

• Total Badges: 22
    Level 5 Tenth year Anniversary Nineth year Anniversary
« Reply #8 on: Jul 19, 2005, 02:32:34 PM »
"Old Joe Clark" hey Beeswing.   I always slide into the first note of the A and B after the link.   Perhaps that's, one of the reasons, why the fiddle never had frets in the first place.

Offline beeswing

• Mugwump
  • Someone with 5 blobs

« Reply #9 on: Jul 19, 2005, 02:37:27 PM »
Snif. Well, Sir, we in the Caledonian traditions are not accustomed to anything as gauche as (urgh. I hesitate to say the word...) sliding. :D

Besides, this way we may reclaim some of the genteel atmosphere pertaining to the ilk of the viola da gamba, which had frets tied on, thank you very much. Pardon me, I must now go see that my peruque is properly powdered...
« Last Edit: Jul 19, 2005, 02:42:41 PM by beeswing »

Offline Jess A

• hiya

• Total Badges: 19
    Nineth year Anniversary Level 4 Super Combination
« Reply #10 on: Jul 19, 2005, 03:11:12 PM »
I see....   I think....  :)  Must admit I'm having trouble visualising it, but the explanation helps,  thanks Bill!  Interesting concept, not something I think I'd want myself but I can imagine it could help at various stages of starting to play, so long as you didn't end up dependant on it...

Offline Katandthefiddle

• Total Badges: 24
    Tenth year Anniversary Level 5 Super Combination
« Reply #11 on: Jul 19, 2005, 03:40:59 PM »
Is there an on line link to this gadget?

Kathy

Offline trickcyclist

Level 5 Nineth year Anniversary Eighth year Anniversary
« Reply #12 on: Jul 19, 2005, 03:46:03 PM »
I've got to say I'm not convinced that it's a good idea. With a fretted instrument it is the fret, not the finger, that stops the note and you deliberately place the finger some distance behind the fret. So with this system you would be training your fingers to go slightly out of place whereas with a flat piece of tape the positioning is more exact.

Offline ruadhan

• Total Badges: 23
    Nineth year Anniversary Eighth year Anniversary Level 5
« Reply #13 on: Jul 19, 2005, 03:55:35 PM »
Great review, Beeswing!  Someone else remarked that it sounds somewhat like the "Don't Fret" decals and I think you nailed it when you said it is similar but with raised frets.  My concern is that such a device might stop one from doing certain ornaments like vibrato and slides.

Also, I remember when I began teaching my youngest daughter to play fiddle, I initially put Don't Frets on her fiddle.  I pulled them off about 2 weeks later because she was constantly trying to look at the fiddle to check finger placement.  She was becoming dependent on the gadget.  Now she has pretty good intonation from the first position using her ears.  I just would worry about a new student becoming dependent using such a device.

I think Kat also has a good point.  The fingers might be trained to go into the wrong point with this item.

Offline beeswing

• Mugwump
  • Someone with 5 blobs

« Reply #14 on: Jul 19, 2005, 04:05:37 PM »
Trickcyclist, you could also see it as freeing up some of your attention for the bowing. By the time the device wears out, you've saved yourself the cost of a fingerboard dressing, and then one may be ready to use their own ears to get the pitch right, which, after all, is the time-tested way to do it.

Kathy and others, I've edited the first post to show the link right near the beginning.

Cliff, I would not even think of starting a kid out with such a gadget. For us older folks, not yet knowing we want to play the violin, but wishing to give it a try, it might help, especially if there's some experience with mando, banjo, or that other fretted instrument.

I've got to go get ready for my afternoon shift in the salt nitrate mines now, so ciao
« Last Edit: Jul 19, 2005, 04:16:16 PM by beeswing »

Offline Nfkfiddler

Level 5 Tenth year Anniversary Nineth year Anniversary
« Reply #15 on: Jul 19, 2005, 04:53:13 PM »
I suppose it has it's uses, along with fretted violins, but I fail to see it at the moment.

Until now I'd always thought a 'fiddle fretter' was somebody who who cut the f holes ;)

Offline WildFiddler

« Reply #16 on: Jul 19, 2005, 05:41:30 PM »
Sounds like an interesting device. While I'd prefer to rely on my ear for pitch, this device may have a place. Maybe for someone switching to violin from a fretted instrument. On the other hand, if a beginner gets too used to the frets, he may never learn fretless intonation.

How does Vibrato sound with the frets?

If you press your finger's very lightly, can you get  microtones between the frets?

If you place your finger directly over the fret, is the pitch correct? Reason I ask that is we would'nt want to train wrong finger placement.

Offline ruadhan

« Reply #17 on: Jul 19, 2005, 06:19:18 PM »
What is wierd is that for me, I cannot figure out fretted instruments.  I've tried.  The frets move around so I can't find them.  They bite my fingers and giggle when I miss them.  Fretted instruments hate me.  So I'll stick with Celtic harp and fiddle, and my wee whistle.

Offline strawberry

• Total Badges: 25
    Windows User Nineth year Anniversary Eighth year Anniversary
« Reply #18 on: Jul 19, 2005, 07:59:35 PM »
Don't know if this comment belongs specifically on this thread, but as a beginner, I just had my stickers removed at my Monday lesson because I was afraid of becoming reliant on them, and I wish I would have had it done months ago.  It is liberating to rely on your ear instead of stickers, so I assume this gadget would inhibit as much as help.

Offline beeswing

• Mugwump
  • Someone with 5 blobs

« Reply #19 on: Jul 19, 2005, 11:34:13 PM »
Brava, Strawberry! :) There's no turning back now...

The rest of youzz guyz: Keep in mind that my left hand has been trying to find notes on fretless boards for nearly thirty years now, and has just about got used to it. That makes me a poor candidate for gauging the value of the Fiddle Fretter to its intended market segment, fret players who want to try the fiddle, but need that "magic feather" to clutch in their trunk while flapping their ears, you see?

That's why I want to try it on Mr Fiddle Dad, because I've heard how "well" he plays Old Joe Clark, and he's at a good stage of fiddlistic development to be a valid tester. Ditto for Mrs Fiddle Mom, because she plays a little mandolin, but not much fiddle, (yet, muahahahaaa)

When I play with the gadget on, it cleans up my intonation more than I like, makes it too sanitary. (Note well, for someone just starting out, that could be a Very Good Thing.) With it on, I can't use expressive intonation, and thank goodness I'm not into that gorgeous constant vibrato thing, because vibrato is not something to try with this gadget on your board. Ditto for microtones; if you know what you want to hear, just put the fingers where that note plays, goldurnit!

As far as I can tell, the lightly stopped overtones (less accurately called "harmonics," but everybody calls them that...) fall right over the appropriate fret. Free example: third finger just barely touching the string over the 12th fret, bow closer to the bridge, and you get the octave, and so forth.

Once again: for a fret player of a certain age who wants to try the fiddle, this could be the bee's roller skates. I'll get back to you when I've tried it on some more people.

be well
and please don't tell the boss I was using his 'puter tonight. I swear I kept all the beans in their right piles, and didn't spread any sheets where they don't belong ;D
« Last Edit: Jul 20, 2005, 01:11:55 AM by beeswing »

Offline Tize

• Tradhead
    • My site

Nineth year Anniversary Level 5 Level 4
« Reply #20 on: Jul 20, 2005, 12:06:16 AM »
I think that's a neat idea, but I don't think I'd use it. The capacity for confusion is too much for me. Fretted instruments are held and played differently and if frets were to appear on my fiddle I'd probably end up plucking the strings! Also, I don't even want to begin to imagine the stick I'd get from my mates for something like that ;)

Offline beeswing

• Mugwump
  • Someone with 5 blobs

« Reply #21 on: Jul 20, 2005, 04:51:32 PM »
Cheers, all, great input, thanks!  :D

I've sent the following email to the maker:

I'm still in the middle of trying this dandy gadget out, the Fiddle Fretter, that is, but up to now I've got to say it works pretty well, It goes on and off without leaving a mess, is comfortable to play, and gives clean intonation. Not only that, it dresses up a fiddle nicely with a set of fine gold-colored frets. I wouldn't be embarassed to show up at an informal ceilidh or picking party with one on my fiddle. I might get some stick about it, but I bet it would be good-natured, nothing I couldn't ward off and give back in cheerful style.

Of course my left hand has nearly thirty years experience in trying to find notes on a fretless fingerboard, so I would rather keep my fingerboard bare, but I can see you've put some high-quality effort into getting things right... you may certainly tell everyone I said so. I don't need to use one, but I like this gadget for what it is.

My next step will be to get it into the hands of some adults who could benefit from it, to see how they like it. As you probably suspected, my wife, the teacher, was a bit skeptical, although she did try it out (while I was off in another room) and admitted it was OK. After we get done with it, I propose to hand it round, perhaps to the first Fiddle Forum member who says the magic word.

All the best,
Bill
known to the Fiddle Forum as Beeswing
doing business as groundskeeper Willie in my day job

Offline baldgeezer

• Total Badges: 29
    Linux User Mobile User Windows User
« Reply #22 on: Jul 20, 2005, 04:56:34 PM »
I'd be interested to know how easy it would be (or not!) to incorporate MIDI triggers into it so that depressing the string onto the fret triggered the appropriate MIDI note. Now that would be cool!

Offline beeswing

• Mugwump
  • Someone with 5 blobs

« Reply #23 on: Jul 20, 2005, 05:35:40 PM »
If I was doing that I'd use a voltage divider chain of 10% resistors between frets, the way some of the old Arp keyboards did, and pick the resulting voltage off of each string. That way you don't have a huge bundle of wires going up to each fret. Easier to build that into a FB than into a stick-on IMO.

These days cheap silicon has changed everything to digits, and I've no clue. Hell, I still don't know (or much care :)) how they get 100Mb/s onto a 3kHz twisted pair, but they do.

Offline WildFiddler

« Reply #24 on: Jul 20, 2005, 05:56:36 PM »
Quote from: beeswing
After we get done with it, I propose to hand it round, perhaps to the first Fiddle Forum member who says the magic word.

MAGIC WORD, PLEASE. I said it first ...  ;D

I'd really like to try the fret board on my Electric, a Wood Viper.

I emailed the maker to try to get one before the Mark O'connor fiddle camp this Sunday. The e-fiddlers would be interested. I did not get a reply, yet.

I was a guitar player before this fiddle maddness made me so silly ...  ;D

Get Adobe Flash player

Fiddle and Alternative Strings Forum (c) 2016 Mark Knight /
SONiC FUEL
SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2020, SimplePortal