Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Forum Shops

Affiliates

Become a Forum Friend and get extra permissions and DISCOUNTS from our sponsors!
plus many extra forum privileges (like 'edit post', avatars and signatures)

Author Topic: Just Picked Up A Mandolin...  (Read 18148 times)

Offline chad

• Total Badges: 23
    Badges: (View All)
    Tenth year Anniversary Level 5 Super Combination
Re: Just Picked Up A Mandolin...
« Reply #25 on: Aug 24, 2005, 04:35:24 PM »
hey chad you should try freebird on your mando but not in church. I tryed it in an old timey jam once and about got kick out but it rocked!!!!!!  ;D ;D ;D

Playing "Free Bird" acoustically may be the only way to rescue it from its turgid, lead-footed self. And I can hear a wonderful "newgrass" jam during the ending uptempo section!

Offline susiakasinead

• Total Badges: 24
« Reply #26 on: Aug 24, 2005, 05:11:50 PM »
I play the mandolin in church too. It's wonderful to hymns. I'm sure they'd let you play in church if you asked.

Offline chuck1

• Total Badges: 25
« Reply #27 on: Aug 26, 2005, 08:03:58 PM »
Thanks Chad--After reading this post I wanted to get a mandolin and the cheap route seemed like the way to go...about the price of a tank of gas now days now how bad can that be.  I had been to Sam Ash looking at mando's and they didnt sound that good to me and they were up tp  $269.00.  I was really tempted to get an eastman but $700.00 was a little much to try it to see if I like it.

So, I bought a Johnson the cleapest they make and was I surprised  at that instrument.  It really blew the others away that I had looked at.  I am really happy with it and someday if my progress continues like it is going maybe that Eastman....chuck   

Offline susiakasinead

« Reply #28 on: Aug 28, 2005, 10:12:03 PM »
Johnson is a good mandolin. Good luck with it and have fun!

Offline chad

« Reply #29 on: Aug 28, 2005, 10:50:09 PM »
Next I'll be looking for a better-quality LEFTY mando. Anybody have any suggestions?

Offline David M.

« Reply #30 on: Aug 29, 2005, 03:11:55 PM »
Chad, Weber Mandolins are good, quality, USA made mandolins and they easily customize any one of their models to suit your needs.  You could order any in a lefty w/any wood and appointment offering.  I had a Weber Yellowstone that was beautiful and was a good mandolin.  They also are known for their GREAT customer service.

their website:  soundtoearth.com

Good luck.

Offline chad

« Reply #31 on: Aug 30, 2005, 12:04:38 AM »
Whee-doggies! I paid 50 bucks for my POS mandolin; looks the the next jump is 2 grand!

Thanks, David!

Offline chuck1

« Reply #32 on: Sep 02, 2005, 04:24:19 PM »
Chad if you are not hung up a "f" model I have heard a lot of good reports at mandolin cafe about the Mid-Mo flat top mandolin.  Pretty plain looking but not $2000.00.  Also, Eastman is more than Mid-Mo's but they come with a case.  Steve has some good prices on these...lots to look at and lots to consider...MAS can get to your pocketbook too!...chuck

Offline David M.

« Reply #33 on: Sep 02, 2005, 04:51:19 PM »
Hey, chad, I never said you HAD to spend $2K  :)

Just giving you some leads.  I'd say Mid Mo mandos can be ordered lefty, but don't know.  You're best off posting some of these questions at the mandolincafe.

Offline chad

« Reply #34 on: Sep 03, 2005, 12:34:03 AM »
Hey, chad, I never said you HAD to spend $2K  :)

Just giving you some leads.  I'd say Mid Mo mandos can be ordered lefty, but don't know.  You're best off posting some of these questions at the mandolincafe.

10-4, David. And in fact I'd prefer an A-style since an F-style is so linked to bluegrass.

Offline chuck1

« Reply #35 on: Sep 03, 2005, 07:00:54 PM »
Chad--I totally agree with you on an "A" style.  F's are really pretty but it is my understanding that they dont sound any different than the "A's".  If I get another it will probably be an A also. 

I checked on the Mid-Mos and they do make it lefty no additional charge...chuck

Offline chuck1

« Reply #36 on: Sep 03, 2005, 07:03:36 PM »
Oh by the way I have seen some MidMo's in the classified adds at mandolin cafe for $350.00, of course, to find a lefty might be hard....chuck

Offline chad

« Reply #37 on: Sep 04, 2005, 02:21:49 PM »
Thanks, Chuck! I actually found MidMo's website yesterday. Nice looking instruments.

Offline giannaviolins

• Someone with 5 blobs

Search Mobile User Windows User
« Reply #38 on: Sep 05, 2005, 12:29:30 AM »
Chad--I totally agree with you on an "A" style.  F's are really pretty but it is my understanding that they dont sound any different than the "A's".  If I get another it will probably be an A also. 

I checked on the Mid-Mos and they do make it lefty no additional charge...chuck

Of course A mandolins sound different.  Look at the mass distribution around the margin.  Extra mass stuck on in F mandolins.  A mandolins are much easier to tune the ribs on and get working.  F style tend to have a different character.  Try a dozen and see (I usually have a dozen or two Eastmans around).

Offline Keeso

« Reply #39 on: Sep 05, 2005, 10:22:38 AM »
Of course A mandolins sound different.  Look at the mass distribution around the margin.  Extra mass stuck on in F mandolins.

True, but certain A-models certainly sound rather "F-ish" with their f-holes rather than the oval soundholes of, say, a classic Gibson A-model of the teens and 1920's ... it can be surprising. I've always had a fondness for those A-models that have quite a bit of chop and less of that very "open" early Gibson "A" sound -- the old Gibson tone that's woody but ... I guess you might call it less "focused," although that's usually a violin tonal description.

Some of the old Gibson F-models with oval soundholes sort of split the difference tonally (somewhat), I suppose, but they always sound more like an "F" than the A-1,2,3 and 4's ... Anyway, my favorite mandos always seem to have f-holes. Having said that, I saw a mando special on public TV once that had Peter Ostroushko (spelling?) playing a very nice old Gibson "A" that was warm but not as overly dark as some I've heard. I would own one like that (if I could find one!) ...

When I first started playing, I thought I wanted a circa WWI Gibson A, but I soon decided it wasn't as versatile as I needed and sounded (especially on open strings) just a bit ... fuzzy? Hard to describe.

When I think of that "choppy A-model with f-holes" sound, I think of the pre-Gibson Flatirons ... newer Gibsons, even ... I guess many Webers would be in there ... certainly Nuggets. I really like the Nugget A-model that was made (now quite a while ago) for Tim O'Brien -- that really nails that sound.

This is an interesting site (see link below) -- this guy recorded quite a few mandos and comparing them is interesting, although subtle differences may obviously be much more apparent while listening in the same room as opposed to this recording. There's a wav of a Flatiron A5 Jr (same as mine, even same year) to compare that "choppy A" tone with an F-model like the Dudenbostel #1 or one of the Gilchrists. I think those Gilchrists must be F-models. The Kentucky "Dawg" is definitely an "F" -- one with a fingerboard radiused the way David Grisman wanted it, as I recall.

And the '23 Gibson A certainly sounds like an oval soundhole, especially the very end of the recording when you hear those open strings. And I have to say, those Gilchrist mandos sound wonderful!

http://members.tripod.com/Liteways/

After listening once more, I think the re-built 1918 Gibson (the one that had the top caved in) sounds rather like the Gibson "A" Peter O. played on that TV special! I would certainly own that one, I think ...
« Last Edit: Sep 05, 2005, 10:37:46 AM by Keeso »

Offline ApK

Eighth year Anniversary Windows User Level 5
« Reply #40 on: Jan 05, 2006, 02:50:53 AM »
Hey there,

Reviving an old thread, 'cuz I just ordered that same Rogue mando.

I'm wondering what kind of stuff y'all did to yours...what sort of setup changes improved it for you?

Thanks!

ApK

Offline chad

« Reply #41 on: Jan 05, 2006, 04:07:37 AM »
Well, I had to "lefty-ize" it. I bought a lefty bridge saddle from Cumberland Acoustics. The whole bridge with adjustment wheels proved way too high so I removed the wheels and threaded posts and planed the bottom of the saddle down some, sanded it flat, and glued  it to the bridge "foot". I then removed the bridge, masking-taped some 100 grit sandpaper to the body, and stroked the bridge over it, following the curve of the body in a way I hoped fitted the bridge feet to the body better. I also ditched the pickguard; one less thing to rattle and block an F-hole.

On occasion I will really beat on the strings to make the whole thing resonate, get those little wood cells lined up in the right direction. Of course it's plywood so it is what it is, but I think I've optimized its performance pretty well.

Good luck with yours!

Offline ApK

« Reply #42 on: Jan 12, 2006, 03:40:14 AM »
Hey there!  Just got my mandolin and have been messing with it for bit.

It's very pretty, if a little rough around he edges(Literally. The edges of the f-holes look like they were stamped out).  I don't know what a mandolin is supposed to sound like, but it sounds recognizably like what the guy in the instructional video is playing, so I guess that's good enough for now. Intonation is pretty good.  I saw some reviews of this model where folks said they had to sand and lower the bridge beyond it's full down position, but I had to screw mine up about 1/8" or some of the frets on the E string would not play. 

But here's the important question:  HOW DO YOU GET THE TAILPIECE COVER OFF TO CHANGE STRINGS???  I've already broken one of the Es.   Good thing I bought a spare set with it....

Thanks!
ApK

Offline fubbi

• Does your dog bite ?
    • Violinmakers Database

« Reply #43 on: Jan 12, 2006, 02:21:05 PM »
HOW DO YOU GET THE TAILPIECE COVER OFF TO CHANGE STRINGS???

Usually, they slide straight up. Just push up with your thumb from the end...they are designed to be a little snug, otherwise, they'd be falling off all the time.  ;D
I like to watch TV.

Offline ApK

« Reply #44 on: Jan 12, 2006, 03:06:41 PM »
When you say 'up' you mean up like the way the bridge holds the strings up, perpendicular to the top? Or 'up' like 'up the neck' as in slide it back toward the end pin?

Offline ApK

« Reply #45 on: Jan 13, 2006, 09:55:19 PM »
OK, figured that out...got my string replaced...got the bridge placed for decent intonation and raised it just high enough for all frets to sound clearly.

Hey, this thing is pretty neat!  I'd better practice that rapid tremolo effect though, cuz right now, in my hands this mandolin sounds like a ukulele!

ApK

Offline chad

« Reply #46 on: Jan 15, 2006, 06:24:33 PM »
...Hey, this thing is pretty neat!  I'd better practice that rapid tremolo effect though, cuz right now, in my hands this mandolin sounds like a ukulele!

ApK

Hey, my MOM plays ukulele!

Not really.  ;D

Play some fast bluegrass tunes and practice those chordal chops. Until you get your tremolo picking chops together (takes a while) at least you can feel like a mando player instead of Don Ho's sideman...

Offline Eric C.

Eighth year Anniversary Level 5 Search
« Reply #47 on: May 05, 2006, 08:36:48 PM »
They make the notes so small these days anyway.
Over the years the notes shrink in any given book.  It's a well-known fact.  Eventually, doorways get taller too.

Offline sreizes

• Someone with 5 blobs

• Total Badges: 27
    Tenth year Anniversary Nineth year Anniversary Linux User
« Reply #48 on: May 12, 2006, 11:17:54 PM »
So I am now the happy owner of a cheap Mandolin!  Luckily, I took the advice to cheap mando buyers and bought a set of strings before it had even arrived.  Before it was tuned up, I had already replaced the Es, the loop on one unravelled!

When I am feeling like time for a project I will replace the rest.  The new set are Martin mediums, but putting these things on is work!  I figured out quickly to pull through the excess and cut it off, but crank, crank, crank to tune up the string.  Violin pegs are easier.

Anyway, I'll need a lot of practice to learn to use a pick but I was able to play Jay Ungar's "Mountain House", as long as I looked at the music, not my fingers.

Offline madmat

• Senior Moderator
  • Someone with 5 blobs

• Total Badges: 28
    Tenth year Anniversary Nineth year Anniversary Eighth year Anniversary
« Reply #49 on: May 12, 2006, 11:29:45 PM »
When I am feeling like time for a project I will replace the rest.  The new set are Martin mediums, but putting these things on is work!  I figured out quickly to pull through the excess and cut it off, but crank, crank, crank to tune up the string.
You might want to take it with you to a place that sells guitars, a peg winder is a big help. It is literally a crank with an end that fits over the button on the tuning machine, greatly speeding the process of installing strings on fretted instruments.

The problem is, since the buttons on mando tuners are so small and closely-spaced, not all guitar pegwinders will work, so you'll have to try a few. I'm sure there are specialty winders for mandos, I just haven't seen one in the wild yet...
Not your mama, or Yo-yo Ma!

Get Adobe Flash player

Fiddle and Alternative Strings Forum (c) 2016 Mark Knight /
SONiC FUEL
SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2020, SimplePortal